Friday, February 12, 2016

Sometimes I have to let myself be sad - just for a minute

My co-teacher told me today she's pregnant. I'm happy for her - truly I am. She has been trying to get pregnant for a while now, and she isn't someone who gets pregnant at the drop of a hat. She has wanted this for a long time. She has a beautiful little boy already. She's a great mom and a good person. I am happy for her.

But I'm sad for me. Is that ridiculous? It makes me feel so selfish. I have my beautiful little girl and I feel so incredibly lucky - really blessed - for that miracle baby. I just feel like my family is not complete yet and it makes me sad that it won't ever just happen. I have come to terms with this, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I just have to let myself be sad about it again. When I hear stories (like I heard today) of someone taking a pregnancy test just because they felt like it and then surprising her husband because he had no idea it was even possible, it makes me sad that I will never get that. I know I have so much to be thankful for, and I have my own story of taking a pregnancy test and finding out I'm pregnant. Believe me, I don't ever forget how lucky I am, and it does ease the blow SO MUCH! It's just sometimes I want my story to be a little different. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to figure out how to get $30,000 to make a baby. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to make decisions about fertility clinics and donor eggs. Sometimes I hate the fact that I have these deformed tubes. Sometimes I just want to be able to have sex with my husband and get pregnant.

Okay, rant over. Sorry I had to put all of that out there. I know it's not a fun thing to read, but this is my safe place and it's better that I rant here instead of to anyone else.

On a happier note, one of my students walked in this morning with a giant stuffed zebra for Anadine - his Valentine's gift for her. Talk about making my heart melt. It was just about the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment