Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My CCRM phone consultation

So my phone consultation was last night. It went pretty well, I guess. Dr. Surrey didn't tell me much of anything that I wasn't expecting, or didn't already know. He threw out some idea of tests that I need to be sure to do, to make sure the hubby and I aren't carriers of certain disorders. He said that women under the age of 40 with a high FSH (that's me!) tend to be carriers of the fragil x gene - which causes mental Retardation. He also wants to be sure that hubby and I aren't carriers of cystic fibrosis. He also told me some supplements I could take to improve egg quality, which I will start taking IMMEDIATELY!

The main thing he told me was that he was concerned that at my last egg retrieval I had 5 follicles but only got one mature egg from them. He said that I may not have responded to the trigger shot and that CCRM fixes that by doing blood work the day after the trigger to make sure you've responded to it, and if you haven't they give you supplementary injections to make you respond to it. Or it could just mean that my egg supply is so low that there were never any eggs. If that's the case there's not much they can do. Let's hope it's the first option! I mentioned that I felt like my RE may have jumped the gun a little bit - that he was so excited that I was actually growing some follicles that he may have triggered me too early, and Dr. Surrey said that was very possible - the he would normally like to see the follicles be larger than mine were at egg retrieval.

Anyway, he wants me to go out and do the 1 day work up with them. He wants me to go through all of the testing for IVF plus all of the testing for using donor eggs. That way if we find out that we need to go the donor egg route, we are already set to do that - no more wasting time! I'll do lots of blood work, ultrasounds to look at my antral follicle count which will give me a good idea of how many eggs I actually do have left, and an extensive look at my uterus to make sure there aren't any problems there. Hubby and I will also have a session with the psychologist to discuss our thoughts on donor eggs - which will probably be very beneficial. In fact, I think that's the part I'm most looking forward to!

So I'll call today and set all that up, I guess. And then it's a matter of waiting for my next cycle to begin and figuring out when I can go out there. He didn't seem very optimistic that my chances are great with my eggs, but I appreciate his honesty nonetheless. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what all of the test results from the one day workup tell us! Colorado, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment